We know, your belly is already stuffed with cookies, goulash, dumplings and other good stuff. But wait: there is a speculoos cake waiting for you! So it really doesn’t matter what you ate before, cause this cake is so perfect for a vegan christmas dinner, you shouldn’t miss! You don’t need any special equipment for this one, but a pot and a mixer are beneficial. Another good point: you can prepare this cake in the morning or the evening before and top with cream and the pears before you serve. What a clever cake.
Vegan Speculoos Cake with cooked Cinnamon Pears
- 170 g (1.5 cup) flour
- 50 g (2 oz) speculoos cookies + more for topping
- 150 g (0.75 cup) sugar
- 150 g (0.66 cup) vegan butter
- 4 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 120 ml (0.5 cup) vegan milk
- 2 tbsp speculoos spice
COOKED CINNAMON PEARS
- 3 pears
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves
- some red wine (optional)
- 200 ml (1 cup) of vegan whipped cream
- 1 tbsp cream stiffener
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a baking tin by lining the base with baking paper and lightly buttering the sides with some vegan butter or oil. Spread some flour in it to cover all sides.
- Add your speculoos cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Now mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, speculoos crumbs, sugar, baking powder and speculoos spice.
- Cut the vegan butter in a small pieces and start to knead the dough.
- Gradually add the milk and use a mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Add the dough in your beking tin and bake for 50 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Use a wooden stick to test if your dough is alright.
THE COOKED PEARS
- Peel your pears and de-seed if you want to.
- Now add the pears in a pot and cover them with water.
- Add cinnamon sticks, sugar, cloves and a bit red wine and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- You can use a knife to test if they are alright.
- Ready? Dry your pears with a kitchen towl.
- Let the cake and pears chill and cool down.
- Whip your cream with the stabilizer and vanilla sugar.
- Top your cake with cream, add the pears and spread some speculoos crumbs.