A quick research told us, that the term ‘kaiserschmarrn’ is referable to Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I., who loved to eat this very vegan plum kaiserschmarrn. Trust us! Surprisingly it takes zero eggs to get a fluffy dough and you’ll have no problems to prepare this yummy dessert. And even if anything will not work out as you’d like, there’s always icing sugar, that’ll help and make everyone happy!
Vegan plum "Kaiserschmarrn"
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 300 ml (1.25 cup) plant-based milk
- 200 g (1.66 cup) flour
- 50 ml (0.25 cup) sparkling water
- 50 g (0.25 cup) melted vegan butter
- 8 plums
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 3 tbsp sugar
- powdered sugar
- Slice vanilla pods and scrape out the seeds. In a bowl, mix with 3 tbsp sugar, pinch of salt and baking powder. Now alternately whisk in milk and flour and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- In a small pot, melt vegan butter and stir into your dough, afterwards add sparkling water. Now the base for your Kaiserschmarrn is ready.
- At this point, we add plums. If you don't like them or if they are not in season right now, you can substitute them with any other fruit (apples, pears, …) or just leave them out. Wash and cut plums and add them to your dough, stir carefully one last time.
- Heat vegan butter in a pan and add the dough 1 cm high. Be careful with this, because if you use too much dough, it probably won't cook entirely and fall apart afterwards.Add raisins when the dough is still soft . Let your dough get golden brown with medium heat on one side, afterwards flip it and fry the other side until golden.
- Ready? Shred the pancakes into pieces using a fork. Add 3 tbsp more sugar on your Kaiserschmarrn bites and let it caramelize for a minute. Enjoy warm and serve with a big pile of powdered sugar.