Thank God there’s aqua faba! It’s time for the sweet part of our Christmas menu. You could either prepare a cake and spare you any stress on the evening, but if you’re not into baking, you can easily prepare this vegan Christmas style mousse with gingerbread flavor. The big question is: How do you get a vegan mousse fluffy? The answer is: aqua faba.
For those of you who haven’t heard of aqua faba before: We’re talking about the water you find in canned chickpeas. Add some baking soda and it will turn out real firm just as beaten egg white. When you leave it like that, it will still taste of chickpeas, but add sugar and flavor and in nothing flat you’ll get wonderful, plantbased, sweet vegan beaten „egg white“. Ready?
Vegan Gingerbread Mousse with Caramelized Oranges
- 200 g (1 oz) vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla flavor
- 530 g (19 oz) chickpeas
- 3 tbsp sugar powder
- 2 tbsp gingerbread spice
- 2 oranges
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp quince jelly
- fresh mint leaves
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a bain-marie and stir in gingerbread flavor. Set aside to cool down a little bit.
- Open 2 cans of chickpeas, pour off water in a large bowl. Just prepare some hummus, curry or whatever you like. For now we only need the water. Put it in a bowl, add 1 tbsp baking powder and beat with a handheld electric mixer or your kitchen mashine. This will take about 5 minutes until you can see the real difference. Add powdered sugar and vanilla flavor and beat again on high level for 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully stir in melted chocolate.
- Fill mousse in glasses but keep some space on top. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Fillet oranges and let them caramelize in a pan. Start by mixing 3 tbsp sugar with 2 tbsp water and heat up in a pan. After 2-3 minutes, add 1 tsp of vegan butter, stir together and let it simmer for 1 minute. Add orange slices and let them caramelize for 3-4 minutes. Set aside for a bit.
- In a small sauce pot, heat up quince jelly and stir in cinnamon and cardamom. Let it cool down for 5 minutes before pouring a fine layer on top of your chocolate mousse glasses. Afterwards put them back in the fridge until you want to serve them.
- Serve fresh from the fridge and top with fresh mint leaves.