Crispy, tender and fried. Let us be absolutely clear & honest from the beginning: we’ve never bean huge fans of chicken wings. Often they are too oily, too complicated to eat and we've never liked bones in our food. So our experiences from the Chicken Wing Business are a 1 on a scale of 1-10. But this week we are talking about party food so we have to get this thing done.
BTW: there are plenty versions for Vegan Chicken Wings: with jackfruit, tofu or seitan. We decided to try the cauliflower version, cause well, we like the fact that a chicken wing is made of veggies and yes, it's not that unhealthy (especially before frying them haha). Cauliflowers deserve more than just being the sidekick in a veggie pan or the boring partner of potatoes.
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 500 ml (2 cups) soy milk
- 175 ml (0.75 cup) chili sauce
- 250 g (2 cups) flour
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 200 ml (1 cup) BBQ sauce (if you like your wings hot, use chili sauce)
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) oil for frying
- Wash cauliflower and cut into chicken wing like pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Add your cauliflower wings and cover them with the marinade.
- Let them soak for one hour. Turn around so every piece can soak the marinade.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 180°C / 425 F.
- Place your Cauliflower Wings on the baking sheets.
- Roast cauliflower in the oven for 30 minutes, turn after 15 minutes. Don't throw away the rest of your marinade.
- Prepare your breading: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and let chill for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Dredge the cauliflower in the flour mixture, then dip the wings in your marinade and dredge the cauliflower wing again in flour mixture. Repeat this step with all your wings.
- Heat a pot to medium heat with the frying oil.
- Now gradually fry each piece of cauliflower wing until it turns golden brown.
- We double fried each piece, so they turn out more crispy. Be careful, hot oil is dangerous!
- Toss the finished cauliflower wings in chili sauce or BBQ sauce, as you love it the most!