Those crazy Swiss people! During our European Championship special, we prepared national dishes of each of Germany’s opponents. So of course we prepared a bit before and checked out ALL countries and discovered some real food treasures. Sometimes we crossed fingers for some countries just to be able to prepare their national dishes here – for example Switzerland. Those geniuses thought of a pasta AND potato casserole. Yes, you have read correctly – potatoes AND pasta. And if this wouldn’t be enough to get excited, they serve it with apple sauce! HELLO!?! So even though championship is over, we cannot miss out on this dish and veganized it.
Vegan Alpine Herder's Macaroni
- 400 g (14 oz) pasta (best Cellentani)
- 400 g (14 oz) potatoes
- 400 ml (1.66 cup) plant-based milk
- 150 ml (0.66 cup) plant-based cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 jar apple purée for serving
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan cheese
- 200 g (7 oz) smoked tofu
- 2 onions
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Peel and cut potatoes in small pieces.
- In a pot, mix plant-based milk, cream and salt and bring to boil. Your potatoes are ready to take a bath in this mixture and your pasta is happy to join them 5 minutes afterwards. Keep simmering together until everything is soft, but still firm to the bite. If your milk-water-mixture is not enough to cover everything, you can simply add a little more planbased milk or water.
- Finely dice smoked tofu, heat up oil in a large pan and sear those small tofu dices with a nice shot of soy sauce.
- Peel and slice onions. Heat some oil in a second pan and roast until glazed. Season with salt, pepper, a nice shot of agave nectar and balsamic vinegar and keep roasting for 5 more minutes.
- Let's get back to your potato-pasta-pot. Add smoked tofu, half of your glazed onions and a handful of vegan cheese and stir carefully. Place everything in a casserole and let it bake in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving. This way, the whole casserole will „tighten“ a bit.
- Serve with remaining onion slices and apple sauce.