Rhubarb is back in da house! Maybe you already discovered this beautiful veggie at the market, cause well .. rhubarb season is on! From April to the end of June you are supposed to buy rhubarb at the market or in the supermarket and you should definitely do it! You can have some really easy and delicious desserts with rhubarb, like these vegan vanilla waffles with vegan quark and rhubarb compote. Don’t miss it, guys, it’s way toooo easy!
Vegan Vanilla Waffles with Rhubarb Compote
- 290 g (2.3 cup) flour
- 200 ml (1 cup) plantbased milk
- 50 g (0.25 cup) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp plantbased oil
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) sparkling water
- 2 vanilla beans
- 6 stalks of rhubarb (in the end you need at least 300g (3 cups))
- 140 g (0.7 cup) sugar
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) water (maybe you need a bit more)
- pinch of salt
- 500 g (18 oz) vegan curd
- Stir together in a big bowl: flour, brown sugar, baking powder and vanilla sugar.
- Halve the vanilla pods lengthways and scrape out the soft pulp.
- Now add the soft pulp and all the wet ingredients: milk, water and oil. Stir again.
- Preheat the waffle iron, brush with plantbased oil and fill in the dough. Bake for three minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Wash and clean the rhubarb, cut off the ends and cut into small pieces.
- Add the rhubarb, sugar, water and a pinch of salt in a pan or pot and heat until it starts to bubble.
- Let bubble for 10 minutes, until you get a smooth compote. The rhubarb should be very soft in the end.
- Place the waffles on a plate and top with vegan curd and the rhubarb compote (still warm).