Small, vegan meatballs are searching for a pastalicious home! Our todays comfy-food-heart is starting to beat a bit faster, cause we combine two thing we really like: pasta & vegan meatballs. In Italy they call this combination „Spaghetti Polpetto“ and it sounds much better than the german or english version. They traditionally serve bell pepper sauce together with pasta and meatballs. So here is our vegan version of Spaghetti Polpetto aka. Spaghetti with vegan meatballs in bell pepper sauce.
Spaghetti Polpetto aka. vegan meatballs in bell pepper sauce
- 400 g (14.1 oz) Spaghetti
- 1 can of kidneybeans
- 1 garlic clove
- 0.5 onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 4 tbsp soft oats
- 2 tbsp oil
Bell Pepper SAUCE
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp bell pepper-tomato-paste (alternative: tomato paste)
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 0.5 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 400 ml (14.1 oz) sieved tomatoes
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- fresh basil on top
- Boil pasta like instructed on the packaging.
Vegan meat balls
- Rinse and dry kidney beans in a sieve. Make sure there is no liquid left.
- Peel and finely dice onion and garlic clove. Chop your oats.
- Add kidneybeans in a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add onion, oats, mustard, soy sauce, tomato pasta and garlic and all the spices. Combine everything well with your hands.
- Now form balls and brown them in a pan for 5- 6 minutes, or until they turn brown.
Bell Pepper Sauce
- Peel and finely dice onion and garlic.
- Wash bell pepper and dice into small bits.
- Heat oil in a pan and add bell pepper and onion. After three minutes, add garlic and let roast for another minute. Now add the agave syrup and let caramelize shortly.
- Add the tomato-bell-pepper-paste and let roast for another minute.
- Add sieved tomatoes, let simmer for 10 minutes and season.
- Season again, add the pasta and meatballs.
- Mix everything well and serve. Yummy!