If I would have known before how easy it is to prepare your own pretzel rolls, I would have never bought them in the bakery. Aah, this smell of fresh baked rolls in your kitchen is just the best. At least until you took the first bite, because afterwards THIS is just the best. And then imagine what things you could fill this roll with: Chocolate cream, scrambled tofu or another tiny pretzel roll – neverending possibilities!
Homemade Pretzel Rolls with vegan Mozzarella Stuffing
FOR THE PRETZEL DOUGH
- 1/2 cube yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp melted, vegan butter
- 225 ml (0.9 cup) warm water
- 450 g (3.75 cups) flour
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 1 l (4 cups) water
- 50 g (0.25 cup) baking soda
- 5 tbsp granular salt
- 75 g (0.5 cup) soaked cashews
- 200 g (7 oz) vegan mozzarella
- 2 green onions (cut in rings)
- 3 artichoke hearts (cut)
- 2 vegan sausages
- 60 ml (0.25 cup) water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- paprika powder
- Place the warm water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast and sugar on top. Mix it until combined.
- Gradually mix in flour salt and melted vegan butter. Knead the dough for 5 - 10 minutes until everything is well combined.
- Place dough in an oiled mixing bowl and cover with a dishtowel. Let it rest in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, let's prepare the filling. Cut vegan sausages in smaller pieces and roast them in a pan with some oil. Afterwards mix cut sausages with all remaining ingredients, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- When your dough has risen enough, take it out of the bowl, form 6 balls and roll them out lengthwise and oval on a floured, dry surface. Put about 3 tbsp of stuffing in the middle of it, fold it up and roll the dough carefully together like a snake.
- Alternatively you can also roll out all dough, put all stuffing in the middle, fold it together and with the help of a sharp knife, cut same-sized slices, about 3cm.
- Take out a large pot, heat up water and stir baking soda in. As soon as the water is boiling, turn down heat and keep it simmering.
- One after another, put your pretzel rolls into the baking soda water for about 30 seconds and turn it over several times. Afterwards remove them from the water, drip off a bit with a paper towel and immediately sprinkle some granular salt on it.
- Afterwards place them on a baking sheet and let them bake for 30 minutes at 200°C / 390°F.