Savory pancakes with scallion. It’s always difficult to talk and write about food thats originated in other cultures. So we don’t really want to claim, that these pancakes are Chinese, even though you’ll find recipes like that under that title. We’ve never been to China and quite often there are different versions in the country itself. BUT, and this is the most important: they are SO tasty! Serve them as snacks or as a starter.
Hearty Scallion Pancakes
- 450 g (3.5 cups) flour
- 300 ml (1.25 cups) warm water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bunch green onions
- In a bowl, mix flour, water and salt until combined, then start kneading until dough is smooth. As soon as it peels of from the bowl, keep kneading carefully on a floured sourface for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Slightly grease bowl with oil, transfer dough back in it and let rest covered with a kitchen towel in a warm place for approx. 30 minutes.
- Cut off small stems of green onions and remove outer layer. Then cut green onions in small rings. Set aside.
- Divide dough in 4 equal-sized pieces. Flour a work surface and roll out each one with a rolling pin to a rectangle. Brush with some oil and sprinkle cut green onions on top of dough. Tightly roll together, then roll in a small snake-bun. Afterwards roll out each of them with a rolling pin again into small circles.
- Heat oil in a small pan and roast pancakes from both sides for 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown. Serve with fresh dip, e.g. vegan sriracha mayo (therefor, add some sriracha to vegan mayo and stir).