A burger for today, tomorrow and the day after. Normally „Chicken Burger” would be the name for this burger. We used soy steaks instead of chicken, but it is as great as you already know it from burger shops. You get these soy steaks at Veganz, Kaisers or Rewe, so go and grab some of it, they are so tasty! The rest of this recipe is quite simple: salad, vegan mayonnaise, bbq-sauce, red onions and tomatoes. Like we said: a classic. We topped with apple slices for a better conscience and it worked out wonderful. By the way: try and make your own vegan mayo or burger buns.
Classic vegan Burger with Soy Steaks
- 2 burger buns (recipe on the blog)
- 6 small soy steaks
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce
- 4 gherkins
- 2 tomatos
- 1 red onion
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (2 tbsp per burger)
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce (2 tbsp per burger)
- Place soy steaks in a bowl and pour hot water over it until it's all covered. Set aside for at least 10 minutes. Afterwards pour off water and squeeze out remaining water in soy steaks with your hands. Season with salt and pepper from sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for marinade. Transfer soy steaks in marinade for at least 10 minutes and cover them all over with it.
- In a large frying pan, heat up 2 tbsp plantbased oil and roast soy steaks from both sides.
- In the meantime, cut veggies. Wash tomatoes, iceberg lettuce and apple and cut in fine slices. Peel and finely slice red onion as well as gherkins.
- Half burger buns and roast them in your toaster or a pan.
- Time to top your burger. Spread vegan mayo and BBQ sauce on bun, add soy steak, lettuce, apple-, gherkin- and tomato slices and don't forget onion slices! Enjoy!