Creamy, slightly sour and crisp. Yes, that’s how your christmas soup should be! For one thing it should underline your main dish, for another thing your soup should give a foretaste of what comes next. So everyone is more curious about your menu. This cauliflower-apple-soup is a basic, cause the way you cook it is very simple one. On the other side it’s special cause you get this sour flavor paired with some crunchy sweet hazelnuts. And yes, this is the shit! So prepare yourself for something simple that comes out way better than you think!
Cauliflower Apple Soup with Cinnamon Nuts
- 1/2 small cauliflower
- 2 apples
- 1/2 leek
- 1 onion
- plant-based oil
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) cream
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of turmeric
- 100 g (0.4 cup) vegan yogurt natural
- 100 g (3.5 oz) peeled hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Peel and dice onion. Cut off and discard the root ends and thick dark green parts of the leek. Wash and cut into slices.
- Remove the leafs of the cauliflower, wash and cut into small pieces.
- Wash, de-seed and dice apples.
- In a big pot heat your oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Now add leek, cauliflower, apples and let roast for 5-7 minutes.
- Deglaze with vegetable stock and let simmer for 15 minutes or until your veggies are ready to purée. The amount of the veggie stocks depends on the size of your pot and your veggies, so variate with the amount of your veggie stock if you like to.
- If your veggies are ready, purée them and season with your spices and the cream.
- Let simmer for a few more minutes, so the soup gets the consistency you need.
- In a pan brown your hazelnuts for 2-3 minutes without oil.
- When they get brown, add some agave syrup and the cinammon, stir well and let caramelize for 1 or 2 minutes. Let chill afterwards.
- Soup is ready? Great, than top with nuts and a blob of yogurt and we are ready!